Hotel outbreak

At the time of publishing the July edition of CBD News, a cluster of 14 COVID-19 cases had been linked to the Stamford Plaza Hotel on Little Collins St. 

A security contractor at the hotel, which has been one of many in the CBD quarantining return travellers, returned a positive coronavirus test on June 17, while another person previously linked to another cluster was revealed to be a worker at the hotel.

On June 21, three new cases were reported taking the total to 12, before two further tested positive the following day.

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) said investigations into potential sources of transmission, testing of staff and follow up of close contacts continued. 

Premier Daniel Andrews announced on June 20 that lockdowns measures would be re-tightened amid a spike in community transmissions across Melbourne. Until July 12, only five visitors are permitted in the home, while businesses such as restaurants are only allowed up to 20 guests at a time. 

As of June 23, the total number of cases in Victoria had risen to 1864, with 131 of those active. 

“We have made some great progress in slowing the spread of coronavirus, but we are still seeing new cases in the community,” Victoria’s chief health officer Professor Brett Sutton said speaking on June 23. 

“This is the seventh consecutive day of double-digit case growth in Victoria, with a continuing and concerning number of new cases associated with transmission in households and families.” 

“As a consequence, the Victorian Government has announced a tightening of the rules and has reduced the number of visitors you can have in your home to five. Outside of the home, people can now gather in groups of up to 10 only.”

For more information and updates visit dhhs.vic.gov.au

Top
%d bloggers like this: