History articles

Marvellous Collins St

Marvellous Collins St

Collins St has been Melbourne’s best-known and most fashionable street since the 1840s.  Part of the Melbourne grid plan drawn up by Robert Hoddle in 1837, it was named after Lieutenant -Governor David Collins, leader of the unsuccessful 1803 Sorrento settlement. It contains much of the city’s best and most beautiful commercial architecture. The first

Scotts Hotel, Melbourne

This photograph was taken in c. 1950 within the saloon bar of Scotts Hotel, Melbourne. Scotts Hotel was situated at 444 Collins St, built in 1860 and substantially remodelled in 1913-14 under a design by the architect, Arthur H Fisher. The hotel was originally known as “the city home of country people” and stood on

The west end of Collins St, mid 1970's

The Olderfleet Building of Collins St

This photograph is taken in the early to mid-1970s, at the west end of Collins St, near King St. The older buildings, on the south side of the street, are from left to right – The Olderfleet, Records Chambers and New Zealand Chambers buildings. In the background is the multi storey National Mutual commercial building,

Independent Chapel Collins Street 1860

By Kate Prinsley This chapel stood on the corner of Collins and Russell streets. Following the arrival of Reverend William Waterfield, planning started to construct an Independent chapel in what was then known as the Port Phillip District.   The chapel was designed by architect Alexander Sims and built by John Morrison. The style is

The store with more

If you lived in Melbourne in 1900, and you wanted to buy a watch, some jewellery, a cutlery set, glassware, or a wedding present, you would most likely have visited Edments’ Melbourne Supply Stores, opposite Myers in Bourke St. The three-storey shop was full of delightful things imported from Britain, America and Europe and it

Paper Boy, c.1860

This photograph of ‘The Paper Boy’ was taken in c. 1860. The scene is looking west down Collins St from Swanston St. The paper boy, selling The Age or The Argus or both, stands within the intersection, eyes trained on the photographer. Horse and buggies, with men in black hats and dark clothing, are seen

Great White Fleet visit to Melbourne

By Kate Prinsley This photograph is a view of Flinders Street Station, as seen from Elizabeth St, in August 1908.  The Victorian Railways had erected this large painted and illuminated signboard to welcome a fleet of American battleships to Melbourne. The night photograph shows the hoarding with a prominent arch and symmetrical ends with flag

Harrington’s Buildings

Harrington’s Ltd (trading as Harrington Cameras) was a household name throughout Australia in the 1920s. The shop sold cameras, photographic equipment and was a printing, enlarging and framing service.    The photo shows Harrington’s Buildings (central and eastern sections) Collins St, north side, between Swanston and Elizabeth streets in about 1920. Above Harrington’s was the

Harrington’s Buildings

Harrington’s Ltd (trading as Harrington Cameras) was a household name throughout Australia in the 1920s. The shop sold cameras, photographic equipment and was a printing, enlarging and framing service.    The photo shows Harrington’s Buildings (central and eastern sections) Collins St, north side, between Swanston and Elizabeth streets in about 1920. Above Harrington’s was the

Out of the wilderness

John Noone (1820 -1893) arrived in Melbourne in 1856 and established a photographic studio, but was later employed in the Government Survey Office as a photographer. His photographs were acclaimed and he was commissioned by the government to prepare albums for visiting dignitaries. This photograph is one of eight commissioned for presentation to visiting British

Top
%d bloggers like this: