Tag Archives: Queen Victoria Market

Savage reaction to permit bid

Savage reaction to permit bid

The council’s application for a heritage permit for its Queen Victoria Market (QVM) ambitions marks a line in the sand in the political battle against the redevelopment. The council and its opponents are, on this issue, united in a clear expectation that a permit will be issued. But, while the council will see a clear

Council seeks heritage permit for QVM

The City of Melbourne has applied for a heritage permit to allow it to start work on its Queen Victoria Market (QVM) redevelopment. Some 20 documents of supporting material underpin its plan to remove half of sheds A, B, C and D so it can dig a four-storey services basement before reinstating the sheds. Heritage

Progress on market redevelopment

At their meeting on August 29, City of Melbourne councillors unanimously endorsed a statement of expectations about the future of the Queen Victoria Market (QVM). Some 12 principles under four headings were endorsed to guide the council-owned company that runs the market. During the same council meeting, councillors noted additional funding of $59.7 million into

Market war moves to the heritage front

The battle for the Queen Victoria Market (QVM) moved onto the heritage front in mid-September with Lord Mayor Robert Doyle landing a blow and his opponents launching bitter recriminations against the National Trust. The National Trust of Australia (Victoria) board on August 28 approved an “advocacy position statement” which expressed several concerns about the City

Compromise on QVM

The City of Melbourne appears set to compromise on its Queen Victoria Market redevelopment by leaving intact half of the historic open sheds previously earmarked for removal and renovation. Council city design director Rob Adams recently outlined the changes to opponents of the council’s redevelopment plans for the market. CBD News understands that, rather than

Thanks, but no thanks – Doyle

Lord Mayor Robert Doyle has politely told opponents of the council’s Queen Victoria Market (QVM) redevelopment that he won’t be taking on their alternative development plan. At the council’s August 15 Future Melbourne Committee meeting, Cr Doyle said: “We thank you for your passion and the work you have put into it.  We are set,

A full financial history of the QVM invesment

By Stephen Mayne As we await Planning Minister Wynne’s decision on Queen Victoria Market (QVM) planning controls, it is worth revisiting the full financial history of the City of Melbourne’s biggest ever investment. It is important to note that, over the past 20 years, the council has milked the market of more than $100 million

QVM heritage assessment

The Australian Heritage Council is looking for public comments about the City of Melbourne’s nomination of the Queen Victoria Market (QVM) for national heritage status. Comments can be provided in writing to the Australian Heritage Council by 5pm, Friday, July 14. Announcing the call for public comments on April 21, Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said

Munro site plans revealed

Last month, the City of Melbourne finally revealed their plans for the former Munro site, to be developed by PDG Corporation into a mixed-use development comprising a 58-storey Bates Smart-designed tower of 308 dwellings and a 300-room hotel, after the developer was awarded the rights to develop the site on CoM’s behalf.  The Munro site represents the first stage

Questions on heritage QVM response

Plans have finally emerged of the City of Melbourne’s (CoM) development scheme for the Munro site opposite Queen Victoria Market, giving us a glimpse of a proposal with some broader merits, but mixed result for heritage at best. Only slithers on edges of the site are to be retained, making way for new community facilities,

Top
%d bloggers like this: