Heritage Victoria (HV) has been an extra 60 days to consider an application from the City of Melbourne to restore and modify Queen Victoria Market (QVM) sheds.
The council last year applied for the heritage permit to allow work to start on a major redevelopment of the market.
Heritage Victoria invited submissions until October 25, at which point it had 60 days to make a decision. But HV has successfully sought a further 60-day extension due to the complexity of the application.
A spokesperson for the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning told CBD News: “Heritage Victoria has 60 days to assess an application, the ‘permit clock’ stops for public advertising and further information requests.”
“The Heritage Council has allowed a further 60 days for Heritage Victoria to assess the application regarding the Queen Victoria Market redevelopment due to the complexity of the application.”
The council’s development partner PDG has an application before the department for a residential tower on the council-owned Munro site.
A department spokesperson told CBD News the application was not publicly available.
“Unfortunately the plans are not currently publicly available as we are in the process of seeking more information,” the spokesperson said.
CBD News planning columnist Laurence Dragomir has more detail about the application in this month’s column on page 20.
He writes: “In the revised design, PDG’s design team have conceived a kidney-shaped tower of approximately 40-storeys which conforms to the recently imposed 125 metre height limit.”
“Under initial plans a smaller adjacent building to the main tower consisted of an affordable housing contingent, which should include approximately 56 spaces.”
“A taller, more discernible building has now been included across the revised design to the west of the main residential building.”